Friday, August 3, 2007

What if you had 16 siblings?

I only had one growing up and sometimes that was a little too much. Well, latest news on Yahoo! is the birth of the Duggar Family's 17th child. A little girl. The oldest child is 19. You may have seen this family featured on the Discovery Channel (I haven't seen the show).

Lets hit the first hurdle - what they consider "fun" facts. Just a few, I am sure there are others.

1. A baby has been born in every month except June
2. The family has gone through an estimated 90,000 diapers
3. The mom, Michelle, has been pregnant for 126 months (approx 10.5 years of her life)

Can I get a moment of silence, please? These people deserve a HUGE amount of respect (or therapy and a mental evaluation). Especially since they are saying, even after the birth of their latest, that they would love more children. Apparently, with only 7 girls - they are out numbered. Can't let that happen.

The idea of my husband and I being parents and caregivers and the financial support to seventeen kids boggles my mind. I think it would boggle almost anyone's. But really - when I thought of it - think about living with 16 brothers and sisters. Of being one of 17 children who all need love, care, and attention. Of needing help with your homework, dating advice, fashion advice, a lesson in bike riding. Who is providing all of that? My guess is that it is the older siblings and not the parents.

I don't know. I am not trying to be judgemental - I think large families and children are a beautiful thing. But I also think that it can all be taken just a little too far....

0 comments: