Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Introducing Sophia Victoria: Birth Story

It has been a week since Sophia has been born and I am finally able to sit down and write her birth story. What a week. It’s been wonderful – aside from healing from the c-section which, I will be honest, is a little more than I expected. I was not expecting to be this uncomfortable. I heard from so many people, “it’s not that bad,” and really – it’s not that good either. But – the end result is fabulous. I have a beautiful baby girl!

I think I need to pinch myself to really know that this is my life. Things are great. Sophia is such a good baby that I am hesitant to keep saying it because I do not want to jinx myself but at the same time I am marveling at it so much that I cannot help but say it.

Well, let me start with the birth story. I was a scheduled c-section. I was nervous as heck. Excited but nervous. All of it was so new and unknown. How would it feel? How would I feel? We got to the hospital and things happened fast from there. We checked in at admitting. Got my first bracelet of the day and signed our life away. Then we were moved to recovery for prep. The nurses at South Miami are all what they were raved about. Just fantastic and supportive. Once I was all prepped and IV’d I was able to walk down to the waiting room with Abel to see my parents and mother in law. It was very emotional for them. And then for me because my dad kept giving me the same teary look that I had only seen once before – on my wedding day. The anticipation of everyone waiting to welcome Sophia was overwhelming and I made sure to head back to the prep room before I got teary, too, because I knew that was coming anyway.

Back in prep, the doctor arrived and things went fast from there. I walked over to the OR and was given the spinal. I was laid down on the bed and started getting numb. What a bizarre feeling. And scary. I was worried that I was would be one of the 70% of women (a stat I learned earlier from the anesthesiologist) who vomit once the numbness hits the stomach and lung area. Thankfully, I did not - which surprised me. At this point they let Abel in. He was such a rock. I could tell by his face that he could tell by my face that I was starting to get a little freaked out. Every time I tried to move my legs I had to breath deep and wiggle my hands to feel better. He kept having to tell me to keep my eyes open and look at him. I wanted this over. I hated the feeling of being numb and not in control of my body.

At this point I asked Abel if they had started cutting. My doctor heard me and responded that not only had they started cutting but that they were already half way through the uterus. This is where things get interesting. First of all, knowing that we were half done calmed me down and allowed me to focus on Abel and the baby. We find out later that the baby had burrowed herself so high up in my belly that it took a lot of elbow grease and three tries before the doctor was able dislodge her enough to deliver her. Plus, she had so much hair that getting a grip on her was not an easy thing. I could hear the doctor giving details about all of this but really was just waiting for that cry. I could not believe how much I wanted to just hear my baby. I get emotional now just thinking of it. Then I heard the baby nurse say, “Wow. Look at that hair and those cheeks. What a beautiful face!” I learned at that point that just knowing she was out, okay, and beautiful was all I needed to lose it. I started crying slowly – and then I heard her and the tears came from no where and kept flowing. Before I knew it I was sobbing along with my baby – who was really angry to be out of her nice warm and dark home. I loved it. Abel, walking approximately 6 inches above the floor, fluttered around the baby as they cleaned her. And then I got to see her. What an amazing feeling, seeing my baby for the first time. Her cheeks, her nose, her mouth – all so tiny and beautiful. It was that sight that got me through the next 2 plus hours in recovery while I waited for my legs to start working again. Of course, I laid flat on my back and started text messaging everyone myself. LOL. No way could I wait until later to pass on the news.

Abel would pop in and out and show me video on our camera of my family’s reaction to seeing her for the first time, then her in the transition room, then her getting her first bath. So, I really did not feel like I was out of the loop or missed a thing. It was great. And then a few hours later I was in our room and holding my daughter. I breast fed her as soon as everyone left (which was not so long because at this point visiting hours were coming to an end) and she latched on like a champ – and has not let go. Breastfeeding is going SO well. So well, that my milk came in while in the hospital and I had to ask for a pump to get some relief. Since then I have been nursing and pumping – and Sophia drinks from the bottle or breast just as easily. No nipple confusion here.

Like I said – life is good. I am going to be so difficult to live with once I can get online more often because I am seriously Sophia’s number one fan. She is fantastic and lovely and sweet and such a good baby.

And since I could go on and on and on about everything I am experiencing as a new mom – I am going to stop here. I think you guys get the point by now, no?


Christy aka TRUE GEMINI said...

:) I cried reading this post. So happy for you guys!