Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sophia has a Birth Date....

And it is next Wednesday, September 26th at roughly 4pm in the afternoon. Sophia Victoria will arrive by c-section and this was not an easy decision on my part. But, in the end, it was my decision and although it feels surreal I am getting accustomed to the idea little by little. In a little over a week I will have my baby here with me.

But - that is jumping ahead. Let me start at the beginning of the day. 11am this morning we had the appointment for our growth ultrasound. She is measuring in the 90th percentile for size. Her waist was the first indication that she was already big. Her head sealed it. The estimate of her weight is showing about 8lbs at this moment. I am 37 weeks along - she is measuring as if I am 38w4d. Her head is something like 40cm already - which explains in a BIG way (pun intended) why she refuses to drop into the birth canal. Well, refuses is a strong word because honestly I can feel her trying. The pressure gets crazy sometimes. But nothing happens. I was hoping that my drs appointment today would show that she has made some progress. No such luck.

I have not progressed at all. The dr can barely feel her head. And so, I got dressed and Abel and I went into his office for a chat. To make the conversation short let me break it down for you.

1. I could wait and see what happens within the next 2 weeks until my due date. But given her size and the amount she can grow in 2 weeks time I was looking at a c-section or delivering a 10lb baby vaginally - and thats a big maybe.

2. I asked the dr about induction. He basically told me that if all the conditions were favorable for an induction - fine. But for me, he does not think I am a good candidate. She is high, she is large, and he was not for recommending forcing her out because he said that chances were that I would be in labor for a long time and all indications showed that I would end up with a c-section anyway.

3. So, based on the above I am scheduling for a c-section. Not my first choice. Not the way I originally wanted to go but at this point I honestly do not want to put her through the trauma of being induced since she is not even close to the position she should be at this point. I honestly just want her here safe and healthy. I did not come by the decision lightly but I do feel confident that it was my decision. The doctor did not pressure us - he leveled with us and that I appreciated that. Plus, I know my body and I know what my feel and I can honestly say that I suspected that we would have to go this route.

I tried for Monday the 24th but there were no openings at the hospital - so Wednesday it is. We are having a baby next week!

Now - how is that for an update?

3 comments:

Alison said...

I am going to be a wreck on Weds!! And I just know that when I hear from you or Abel that everyone is ok and Sophia is gorgeous that I'm going to break out in tears before jumping for joy.

XXOO,
Alie

Mimi said...

What exciting news!!! I was not expecting to read this at 10 p.m tonight. I will be crossing my fingers for you...
Psst.. can I still be the Nest announcer? LOL!!

MUAH!!!!

Christy aka TRUE GEMINI said...

Yay! I'm happy. I actually got goosebumps reading this. Personally, I'm completely FOR c-sections. I am going to request & demand one whenever I'm having a kid. I just don't get that whole "being in pain and pushing something out" thing. Its just not for me. I think whichever way the baby comes, you feel like a woman/mom! Good luck to you! I can't wait! P.S. My cousin Ramon just found out he's having a girl too. I need to catch up to you guys!!!