Sunday, October 28, 2007

My post-partum shopping experience.

Here I am one month post partum. My body has had 4 weeks to do its thing. I have lost 25lbs. 19lbs to go until I hit my pre-preggo weight. Awesome, right? However, none of my pre-pregnancy clothes fit. Not my tops (boobs are huge due to breastfeeding) and not any pants that are not sweats or elastic in the waist. HOW DEPRESSING. I realized, with the help of some mommy friends, that I had to buy some transition clothes. It was a must. I need to be able to move about in the world in real clothes, not maternity clothes, so that I can hold my head up high and feel good about myself.

As of yesterday afternoon I am now the proud owner of TWO new pairs of Jeans. Size 16, Classic Fit, Old Navy. YES. Size 16. Ouch. Do I get brownie points for admitting that in writing? I hope so - because I will only feel better when I can come on here and write that I am back to my pre-pregnancy size 12 and better yet - when I finally get down to my goal size of size 10!

So, I went shopping yesterday afternoon. I left my daughter at home with her daddy and I went to the mall by myself for the first time since having the baby. It was an experience. First of all, who knew how GOOD it would feel to get out on my own? Second, it was mostly successful! I had no luck in the blouse arena - honestly, too much of what is out now are SWEATERS. Hello, we live in South Florida??? Do stores even make money at this time of the year with all of the winter stuff they have out? And where the hell did all of those loose-waisted-blouses that were so popular while I was pregnant go??? My tummy is not ready to be shown off in tight fitting tops yet!

Anyway. Thanks to a fellow Mommy recommendation I learned that Old Navy carries good jeans on the larger side. I immediately made the mistake of going to the mid-rise jeans section and picking up a size 18 and a size 20. The 18 was TOO TIGHT and the 20 was TOO BIG. *sigh* Talk about a nightmare. I almost burst into tears right there in the fitting room. Hello, even in my underwear I felt like a frump because I am freaking wearing briefs up to my waistline because bikini or anything lower still feel too uncomfortable on my c-section incision. I was about ready to bang my head on the fitting room wall and throw a full on hissy fit. But instead I took a deep breath and went back out to the jeans section resolved that there had to be a style for me. And there was. I noticed Classic Fit. I grabbed an 18 and went into the fitting room and guess what? IT WAS TOO BIG!!!! I almost fell over from my excitement. I realized that mid-rise is not what my body fits at the moment but I had NO PROBLEM being Classic - not as long as it was in a size 16. So, I walked out of Old Navy with two pairs of jeans only 2 sizes bigger than my pre-pregnancy size. Is that fantastic or what?

Its a start! Yet another new beginning in my life as a mommy.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Congrats girl. 25lbs in 1 month is amazing! I know, I know... you had a baby in there, but still really great!! I haven't lost 1 lb yet! LOL But I'm determined to lose 10 in November, then another 10 in December. YES..even through the holidays I plan on doing it. I just don't want to wait till a silly "new year's resolution." I want to get a head start.
Glad you're back in the swing of thinigs... more pics please. ;)

PlanetChristy said...

Hey Mel,
This is my NEW blog. I was hacked and lost my last account. Long story, but anyways... make the appropriate changes.

And my new email address is: planetchristy@gmail.com. Please email me b/c I'm not sure if I have your correct address.

Hope you, baby & Abel are doing great.

xoxo

Christy said...

OK... MY ORIGINAL EMAIL IS BACK. DISREGARD THE NEW EMAIL & BLOG.

AND THANKS FOR ASKING... I WASN'T IN AFRICA. SOME JERK HACKED ME AND SENT OUT BOGUS EMAILS.